Historic Markers Across Georgia



Washington Pump & Oak



Marker ID: GHM 020-3
Location: Osborne and Conyers Streets, St. Marys
County: Camden
Coordinates: N 30° 48.481    W 081° 32.639
  30.808016    -81.54398
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM36GR
Washington Pump & Oak Marker
Photo by Marine Biologist



Text:

There were originally six wells one in each square, the only source of pure water for St. Marys, (until the tidal wave of 1818).

On the day that the Father of the Country was buried at Mt. Vernon local services were also held thoughout the nation. St. Marys citizens marched to the dock to meet a boat bearing a flag draped casket; bore it up Osborn St. and with due ceremony and firog of guns, buried it where the Well known as the ´Washington Pump´ now is.

To mark the spot, four oaks were planted and have since been known as the ´Washington Oaks´. Only this one remains. This well was driven the year of Washington´s burial and has ever since been called the ´Washington Pump´.

GHM 020-3 Georgia Historical Commission 1953



 

 

020-3