Historic Markers Across Georgia



First Pecan Trees Grown Here About 1840



Marker ID: GHM 020-4
Location: 200 block of Weed Street, near Ready Street, St. Marys
County: Camden
Coordinates: N 30° 43.371    W 081° 32.758
  30.72285    -81.54596
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM36H2
First Pecan Trees Grown Here About 1840  Marker
Photo by Marine Biologist



Text:

Grown from pecan nuts found floating at sea by Captain Samuel F. Flood and planted by his wife, nee Rebecca Grovenstine on Block 47. The remainder of these nuts were planted by St. JOseph Sebastian Arnow in the north half of Block 26.

These first plantings produced large and heavy-bearing trees, as did their nuts and shoots in turn. Taken from St. Marys to distant points throughout southeastern states, they became famous before the Texas pecans were generally known.

GHM 020-4 Georgia Historical Commission 1953




First Pecan Trees Grown Here About 1840
Photo by Marine Biologist



 

020-4