Historic Markers Across Georgia



Point Peter



Marker ID: GHM 020-8
Location: Osborne Street and Point Peter Road, St. Marys
County: Camden
Coordinates: N 30° 44.596    W 081° 33.232
  30.743266    -81.55386
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM5X85
Point Peter  Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

East of here, at the junction of Peter Creek and the St. Marys river, the British built Fort Tonyn in 1776; controlling the southern part of the colony of Georgia for two years. In 1778, American Revolutionary forces, both land and water, forced evacuation of the exposed position. The English retreated N.W. along North river into Pagan Creek Plantation, home of the Tories, Charles and Jermyn Wright, brothers of Roayl Governor James Wright.

On high land along Alligator (now Borell) creek, they built log and sand breastworks and repulsed the American Cavalry under Col. Elijah Clark.

It appears that in the War of 1812, Fort Pickering was built on the Fort Tonyn site.

GHM 020-8 Georgia Historical Commission 1953




Point Peter
Photo by David Seibert



 

020-8