Historic Markers Across Georgia



Candler County



Marker ID: GHM 021-1
Location: Courthouse in Metter
County: Candler
Coordinates: N 32° 23.836    W 082° 3.753
  32.397266    -82.06255
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7XTZ
Candler County Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Candler County was created by an Act of the Georgia Legislature July 17, 1914, out of portions of Bulloch, Emanuel and Tattnall Counties, and named for Gov. Allen D. Candler (1834-1910). Gov. Candler is famed for the preservation of Colonial and Confederate records and being the first compiler of State records. Among the first officers of Candler County were Ordinary George R. Trapnell, Sheriff Charles M. Harpen, Superior Court Clerk Joshua Everett, Tax Receiver O.L. Patterson, Tax Collector G.B. Hendricks, Surveyor J.D. McLean, Coroner T.D. Joiner and Treasurer Morgan Holloway.

GHM 021-1 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956



Candler County Courthouse
Candler County
Photo by Ken Moser



 

021-1