Historic Markers Across Georgia



Last Land in Georgia Ceded by the Creeks



Marker ID: GHM 022-2
Location: At the City Hall, City Hall Ave and Commerce St, Bowden
County: Carroll
Coordinates: N 33° 32.279    W 085° 15.114
  33.537983    -85.2519
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3RDE
Last Land in Georgia Ceded by the Creeks  Marker  



Text:

Bowdon is near the geographical center of the last land in Georgia owned by the Creek Nation and ceded to the U.S. This tract approximately 550 sq. mi. in area is 80 mi long, 10 mi. wide at its widest point. When Carroll County was surveyed in 1827, it was discovered that all of some districts and parts of others were actually still Creek Territory and till beyond the limits of the Treaties of Jan. 24 and March 31, 1826. An additional treaty, signed at the Creek Agency Nov. 15, 1817, ceded all remaining Creek lands lying in the charted limits of the State of Georgia - Tract 141.

GHM 022-2 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954



 

 

022-2