Historic Markers Across Georgia



Site of Bowdon College 1857-1936



Marker ID: GHM 022-7
Location: Ga 166 (W. College St) at Bowden High School in Bowden
County: Carroll
Coordinates: N 33° 32.248    W 085° 15.651
  33.537466    -85.26085
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3RDN
Site of Bowdon College 1857-1936  Marker  



Text:

Bowdon College was Georgi´s fifth chartered institution of higher education and first coeducational institution. Bowdon was a frontier community of merchants and yeomen who nourished the growth of a school where earnest students of limited means bettered their lives and their communities.

The college closed its doors briefly when all but two of the students (one blind, one with no arms) entered the COnfederate Army. The president, Charles A. McDaniel, and 128 of the 144 students died in the War. Only twice in the history of the school did Bowdon citizens depend upon state funds to sustain the school. After the Civil War Bowdon was one of five Georgia colleges commissioned to provide free tuition to poor and maimed Confederate veterans. The program ended in 1869, and the trustees of the college, under financial strain, boldly voted to become coed. An act creating Bowdon State Normal School was passed in August, 1919.

State funding for Bowdon was terminated but the citizens rallied and continued Bowdon as a junior college from 1934 to 1936. Graduates have carried the honor of the institution into our state and national capitals and throughout the world. From her halls have come educators, doctors, lawyers, journalists, judges, bankers, farmers, industrialists, governors, and senators. ´The college that was founded in the wilderness´ has become ´the Athens of the West´

GHM 022-7 Geogia Historic Marker 1952




Site of Bowdon College 1857-1936
Photo by David Seibert



 

022-7