Historic Markers Across Georgia



Dixie Street From 1865



Marker ID:  
Location: 1 block SE of courthouse on Dixie Street at West Ave in Carrollton.
County: Carroll
Coordinates: N 33° 34.682    W 085° 4.328
  33.578033    -85.07213
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3R7N
Dixie Street From 1865 Marker  



Text:

During the war between the states Carrollton was spared a bloody battle but she sustained four raids by Union troops. The last raid occurred 15 days after the surrender at Appomattox when troops commended by Union General John Croxton, returning from a raid on Tuscaloosa, camped 2 miles west of Carrollton on the night of 25 April 1865 On the morning of 25 April the Union troops pillaged the little town and burned buildings on the town square. They departed by way of Dixie Street, then called Bowen or Lower Ferry Road, upon approach of the home guard Tallapoosa Rangers under commend of Colonel John Beall. The confederates were singing ´Dixie´ as they approached. Local tradition holds that a prominent resident, H.F. Merrell, was so moved by the sight and sound that he exclaimed that the road should be renamed DIXIE STREET, the name that it bears today.

Erected through public subscription by McDaniel Curtis Camp, Sons of Confederate Veterans 26 April 1996



 

 

022-A02