Historic Markers Across Georgia



Mcintosh Stone



Marker ID:  
Location: Front College Dr (off Maple St) at West Georgia Collage, Carrollton, GA.
County: Carroll
Coordinates: N 33° 34.308    W 085° 05.855
  33.571800    -85.097583
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WM4GE7
Mcintosh Stone Marker  



Text:

Originally located at Lochchau Talafau, the Carroll County residence of Creek Indian Chief William McIntosh on the Chattahoochee River. This stone served as a horse mounting block for his visitors. McIntosh was massacred in 1825 by tribesmen angered by his signing of a treaty removing the Creek to Oklahoma. In 1916 the stone was brought to this campus. In 1980 it became, the official college logo with the accompanying motto "Step up to West Georgia."



 

 

022-A05