Historic Markers Across Georgia



Catoosa County



Marker ID: GHM 023-1
Location: Courthouse in Ringgold
County: Catoosa
Coordinates: N 34° 54.964    W 085° 6.64
  34.916066    -85.11066
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6PR6
Catoosa County Marker  



Text:

Created December 5, 1853, the county has an Indian name. Ringgold bears the name of Major Samuel Ringgold, who died of wounds received at the Mexican War battle of Palo Alto in 1846.

Taylor´s Ridge, visible for miles, is named for the Indian chief Richard Taylor.

Catoosa Springs, four miles to the east, and Gordon Springs, ten miles south, were colorful ante-bellum summer resorts.

The bloody Chickamauga battle was fought seven miles to the west, the battlefield now being a National Military Park.

023-1 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1953



 

 

023-1