Historic Markers Across Georgia



Cherokee Springs Confederate Hospital 1/2 mile



Marker ID: GHM 023-12
Location: Cherokee Valley Rd (308) .3 mile E of US 41, S of Ringgold
County: Catoosa
Coordinates: N 34° 54.996    W 085° 5.176
  34.9166    -85.08626
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6YDD
Cherokee Springs Confederate Hospital 1/2 mile Marker  



Text:

One half mile east is the site of Cherokee Springs Confederate Hospital, located here in 1862- 1863. Hundreds of sick and wounded Confederate soldiers were sent to the hospital to rest and recuperate, being benefited by the healing waters of the springs. General and Mrs. Braxton Bragg were patients in August 1863. Bishop Quintard preached the first sermon at the opening of the religious chapel at the hospital on August 21, 1863. Early September 1863 the hospital moved south out of the path of the invading Federals. federals and Confederate skirmished here February 23, 1864.

GHM 023-12 Georgia Historical Commission 1955



 

Cherokee Springs Confederate Hospital 1/2 mile


 

023-12