Historic Markers Across Georgia



Catoosa Springs Confederate Hospitals



Marker ID: GHM 023-13
Location: Keith Rd about .7 mile north of Ga 2, east of US 41
County: Catoosa
Coordinates: N 34° 54.825    W 085° 03.308
  34.91375    -85.05513
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2MRM
Catoosa Springs Confederate Hospitals Marker  



Text:

In 1862-1863 several Confederate hospitals were located here. The sick and wounded Confederate soldiers drank of the health-giving waters of the several mineral springs in this area. Drinking this mineral water and bathing in it enable many sick soldiers to return to duty. Early in October 1863 these hospitals were abandoned to prevent capture by Federal forces. A skirmish took place here May 3, 1864. Part of the 4th Army Corps [USA], under General Howard camped here May 4th, 5th, and 6th, 1864.

GHM 023-13 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1987



 

 

023-13