Historic Markers Across Georgia



Confederate Hospitals



Marker ID: GHM 023-14
Location: Courthouse in Ringgold
County: Catoosa
Coordinates: N 34° 54.965    W 085° 06.643
  34.91608333    -85.11071666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2MRV
Confederate Hospitals Marker  



Text:

Here in 1862-1863 were located several Confederate hospitals ~ The Foard, The General, The Bragg, and The Buckner. The Courthouse, Napier´s Hotel, two Churches, several warehouses, and temporary buildings were also used as hospitals. More than 20,000 sick and wounded Confederates passed through these hospitals, men from every Confederate State. After the Battle of Chickamauga food became so scarce that mule meat was fed to these sick and wounded men. Gallant women of this community served in these hospitals. To avoid capture, the hospitals moved south from here in October 1863.

GHM 023-14 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956



 

 

023-14