Historic Markers Across Georgia



Old Federal Road



Marker ID: GHM 023-6
Location: US 41 just south of Pine Grove Church north of Ringgold
County: Catoosa
Coordinates: N 34° 57.902    W 085° 10.654
  34.96503333    -85.17756666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6PRB
Old Federal Road Marker  



Text:

For the last eight miles this highway has followed closely the course of the Old Federal Road, northwest Georgia´s earliest vehicular thoroughfare and first postal route. It led this way from the southeast Cherokee boundary, in the direction of Athens, Georgia, via Tate, Talking Rock, Spring Place and Ringgold, running toward Nashville, Tennessee. The Indians granted formal rights to open the trace in the 1805 Treaty of Tellico, Tennessee. Another prong of the route led from Ramhurst, toward Knoxville, Tenn.

At this point the old route bore left toward Rossville, passing just south of the road intersection ahead. (US 41 about one mile southeast of Pine Grove Church.)


GHM 023-6 Georgia Historic Marker 1992



 

 

023-6