Historic Markers Across Georgia



Western & Atlantic Depot



Marker ID: GHM 023-8
Location: At the depot on US 41 in Ringgold
County: Catoosa
Coordinates: N 34° 54.918    W 085° 06.472
  34.9153    -85.10786
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMZNA
Western & Atlantic Depot Marker  



Text:

This is the only depot between Atlanta and Chattanooga that has been in continuous use since May 9, 1850, when the first train ran over this end of the line. Previous to the coming of the W & A to "Cherokee Georgia," the nearest market was Augusta. 3 weeks away by ox wagon. In the early 1850s, Ringgold was a bigger market than Chattanooga and large quantities of wheat were shipped from this depot. Built in 1849 of local sandstone with walls 14 inches thick, the building was badly damaged by Hooker´s guns during the battle at Ringgold, November 27, 1863. It was, as may know seen, repaired with limestone block.

GHM 023-3 Georgia Historical Markers 1956



 

 

023-8