Historic Markers Across Georgia

Millie Henderson Grave

Marker ID: CHT 14
Location: Coordinates are from the Chickamauga Campaign web site, they appear to be in the middle of a field and may not be correct.
County: Catoosa
Coordinates: N 34° 51.850    W 085° 15.850
  34.86416666    -85.26416666
Style: Interpretative Sign **
Waymark: None


Millie Henderson, commonly known as "Aunt Millie" was an enslaved African woman who was brought to the local area by John S. Henderson, who established a large plantation a short distance south of the Lee and Gordon's Mills. When armies began converging on this area, Henderson decided to take most of his slaves out of the area. He trusted Millie, the Black woman he had brought with him from Tennessee, more than anyone else in his household. "He took Aunt Millie and went over in the woods east of the house," his grandson J. Frank Henderson later wrote, "and buried a lot of gold ¨. He gave Aunt Millie a certain amount of gold to use in case of emergency.

When the Confederate forces retreated from Chattanooga, the men of General Thomas Hindman's division camped at the Henderson plantation on the way south, and on September 18, 1863, they came back up the LaFayette Road. The men of Hindman's unit were glad to be back on the Henderson plantation. When they had camped there a week earlier Millie, Henderson's favorite slave, had busied herself drawing water, always making sure the Confederate soldiers had fresh water for their canteens. The men were grateful and in thanking her many asked her name. The Black woman was there for them again with water when they arrived on the 18th and many greeted her by name.

The Federals held a position at the mills on the other side of the creek, and throughout the afternoon an artillery duel developed. Most of the men lay flat on the ground and the shells passed over their heads. At the Henderson plantation, however, the faithful Millie Henderson was drawing water for the soldiers when bullets and shell fragments began flying through the air. Millie showed no fear. "Lie down, Millie," the concerned soldiers called to her. She carefully placed the bucket on the ground and hid behind the well.

Following the Battle of Chickamauga, a Confederate hospital was established at the Henderson house. Millie worked constantly with the wounded, and her gentle hands were the last touch many knew before they died. Those who recovered never forgot the care she took of them.

"Grandma fared very well," Frank Henderson continued, "until after the Battle of Missionary Ridge ¨. [when Yankes] pilfered the country all the time.

On one occasion, a soldier went in Grandma's house and carried out the last sack of meal that they had and Aunt Millie stepped up behind him and caught the sack by each comer and jerked him flat of his back. He jumped up and was going to shoot her, but an officer stopped him. After the war, John Henderson returned and used the money that his slave woman Millie had kept safe for him to rebuild the plantation. Millie never accepted emancipation. She spent the rest of her life on the plantation living as she had always lived. The family buried her and her daughter Mary on a portion of the property.

This sign sponsored by: Pvt. John Ingraham Camp # 1977, Sons of Confederate Veterans

Chickamauga Campaign Heritage Trail - 14


This marker is part of the Chickamauga Campaign Heritage Trail, Army of Tennessee site #14 - Millie Henderson Grave

Coordinates are from the Chickamauga Campaign web site, they appear to be in the middle of a field and may not be correct.