Historic Markers Across Georgia



Charlton County



Marker ID: GHM 024-1
Location: Courthouse in Folkston
County: Charlton
Coordinates: N 30° 49.908    W 082° 0.312
  30.8318    -82.0052
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM37J0
Charlton County Marker
Photo by Marine Biologist



Text:

Created by an Act of February 18, 1854 out of Camden County, Charlton County was named for Judge Robert M. Charlton of Savannah. Trader´s Hill (Fort Alert), an important shipping point and head of navigation on St. Marys River, was the first County Site. In 1901, Folkston became the County Site after the Savannah, Florida & Western RR was in operation. The first County Officers, elected in April, 1854, were: Daniel R. Dedge, Sheriff; J.H. Oliver, Clerk of both Courts; Francis M. Smith, Ordinary; John E. Gibson, Tax Receiver; J.H. Bessant, Surveyor; James S. Bennett, Coroner; Louis N.G. Strickland, soon replaced by H. Roddenberry, Tax Collector.

GHM 024-1 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1958




Charlton County
Photo by Marine Biologist



 

024-1