Historic Markers Across Georgia



First Masonic Lodge In Charlton County



Marker ID: GHM 024-3
Location: Ga 23 about 3 mi SW of Folkston at road to Traders Hill
County: Charlton
Coordinates: N 30° 47.784    W 082° 2.124
  30.7964    -82.0354
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM37HQ
First Masonic Lodge In Charlton County Marker
Photo by Marine Biologist



Text:

Trader´s Hill Masonic Lodge was established by dispensation March 1, 1854, one month after Charlton County was created. The first return to the Grand Lodge was made in 1855, and showed: the Rev. F.M. Smith, W.M.; R.A. Baker, S.W.; P.W.W. Mattox, J.W.; James B. Baker, James S. Strickland, R.J. McCook and J.J. Moore. The Lodge increased in membership, and was removed to old Canterville abouut 1870; later it was moved to Folkston, where it is now Folkston Lodge No. 196, F. & A. M.

GHM 024-3 Georgia Historical Commission 1958




First Masonic Lodge In Charlton County
Photo by Marine Biologist



 

024-3