Historic Markers Across Georgia



Nathanael Greene Monument



Marker ID: GHM 025-12
Location: Located on White Bluff Rd. at Old Coffee Bluff Rd., Savannah, GA
County: Chatham
Coordinates: N 31° 57.605    W 081° 08.209
  31.960083    -81.13681
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMWH5
Nathanael Greene Monument Marker  



Text:

Beneath the monument in this Square repose the remains of Maj. Gen. Nathanael Greene, of Rhode island, who died near Savannah on June 19, 1786, at Mulberry Grove Plantation which had been granted to him by this State in appreciation of his services in the Revolution.

The 50 foot, white marble obelisk, designed by the well-known architect, William Strickland, was completed in 1830. The original cornerstone was laid here on March 21, 1825, by Greene´s old friend, the Marquis de Lafayette. At the dedicatory ceremony General Lafayette said:

"The great and good man to whose memory we are paying a tribute of respect, affection, and regret, has acted in our revolutionary contest a part so glorious and so important that in the very name of Greene are remembered all the virtues and talents which can illustrate the patriot, the statesman, and the military leader.

General Greene´s remains were originally interred in the burial ground now known as Colonial Cemetery. His exact resting place was a matter of doubt and speculation for many years. The remains of the famed Revolutionary hero were found in the Graham vault in 1901, and were reinterred beneath this monument the following year.

GHM 025 -12 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1953



 

 

025-12