Historic Markers Across Georgia



Colonial Park



Marker ID: GHM 025-20
Location: Located in Colonial Park Cemetery, Savannah, Ga.
County: Chatham
Coordinates: N 32° 04.539    W 081° 05.418
  32.07565    -81.0903
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMWGG
Colonial Park Marker  



Text:

This cemetery, the second in Colonial Savannah, was the burying ground for the City from about 1750 until it was closed against burials in 1853.

Among the distinguished dead who rest here are: Archibald Bulloch, first President of Georgia; James Habersham, acting royal Governor of the Province, 1771-1773; Joseph Habersham, Postmaster General under three Presidents; Lachian McIntosh, Major General, Continental Army; Samuel Elbert, Revolutionary soldier and Governor of Georgia; Capt. Denis Cottineau de Kerloguen who aided John Paul Jones in the engagement between the "Bon Homme Richard" and the "Serapis" Hugh McCall, early historian of Georgia; Edward Green Malbone, the noted miniaturist, and Colonel John S. McIntosh, a hero of the War with Mexico.

The remains of Major General Nathanael Greene who died in 1786 reposed in the Graham vault until they were reinterred in 1901 in Johnson Square.

The cemetery became a city park in 1896.

GHM 025-20 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954



 

 

025-20