Historic Markers Across Georgia



Old Sorrel—Weed House



Marker ID: GHM 025-27
Location: Across from Madison Square at Bull and Macon Sts, Savannah, GA
County: Chatham
Coordinates: N 32° 4.44    W 081° 5.637
  32.074    -81.09395
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM55D5
Old Sorrel—Weed House Marker  



Text:

A fine example of Greek Revival style, this building (completed in 1840 from the plans of Charles B. Cluskey, a well-known Georgia architect) shows the distinguished trend of Savannah architecture during the first half of the 19th century. The Mediterrnaean vill influence reflects the French background of the original owner, Francis Sorrel (1793- 1870), a shipping merchant of Savannah who as a child was saved by a faithful slave from the massacre of the white colonists in St. Domingo. the ante-bellum tradition of refinement and hospitality associated with the residence was continued after its purchase in 1859 by Henry D. Weed.

Here resided as a youth G. Moxley Sorrel (1838- 1901) who achieved fame as one of ´Lee´s Lieutenants.´ Shortly after war broke out in 1861 Sorrel, a young bank clerk in Savannah, proceeded to Virginia where with conspicuous valor and zeal through the major battles and campaigns in that theater from the First Mannassas to Petersburg and was thrice wounded. sorrel became brig. general at the age of 26. Competent critics have called him ´the best staff officer in the Confederate service.´ Gen. Sorrel´s ´Recollections of a Confederate Staff Officer´ is an absorbing account of his war experiences.

GHM 025-27 Georgia Historical Commission 1954



 

 

025-27