Historic Markers Across Georgia



Telfair Academy of Arts & Sciences



Marker ID: GHM 025-38B
Location: Located on Barnard and President Streets, Opposite St. James Square, Savannah, Ga.
County: Chatham
Coordinates: N 32° 4.724    W 081° 5.699
  32.078733    -81.09498
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMW9Z
Telfair Academy of Arts & Sciences Marker  



Text:

TELFAIR ACADEMY OF
ARTS & SCIENCES

OPEN TO THE PUBLIC ---

Created under the Will of Miss Mary Telfair (c. 1789-1875, the Telfair Academy of Arts & Sciences opened as the first public art museum in the Southeast with a preliminary private showing, February 12, 1885.

After extensive remodeling and additions, with Detlef Lienau of New York as architect, the building was formally dedicated May 3, 1886. Among the prominent persons who attended the dedication were: Jefferson Davis and his daughter, Winnie Davis; Charles C. Jones, historian; Gen. A.R. Lawton; Gen. Henry R. Jackson; Gen. G. Moxley Sorrel; Col. John Screven and Col. Charles Olmstead

Carl L. Brandt, N.A., served as Telfair´s first Director, 1883-1905.

GHM025-38B GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956



 

 

025-38B