Historic Markers Across Georgia



Old City Exchange Bell



Marker ID: GHM 025-41
Location: In park at Bay and Drayton Streets, Savannah, GA
County: Chatham
Coordinates: N 32° 4.843    W 081° 5.384
  32.080716    -81.08973
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMW9Y
Old City Exchange Bell  Marker  



Text:

This bell, which is believed to the oldest in Georgia, bears the date 1802. Imported from Amsterdam, it hung in the cupola of the City Exchange from 1804 until a short time before that building was razed to make way for the presetn City Hall.

In its day, the bell signalled the closing time for shops and was rung by a watchman whn fire broke out. Its rich tones were heard in celebration of American vicotires during the War of 1812. It pealed a welcome to such distinguihsed visitors to Savannah as Monroe, LaFayette, Polk, Fillmore, Clay and Webster and it tolled tributes for America´s illustrious dead.

The towere of the City Exchange, where the bell hung, was a favorite resort of those anxious about the arrival of vessels. The replica of the tower in which the historic bell presetnly reposes was erected in 1957 through the combined efforts of the Savannah chamber of Commerce, the Pilot Club of Savannah and the Savannah-Chatham Hisoric Site and Monument Commiccion.

GHM 025-41 Georgia Historical Commission 1957



 

 

025-41