Historic Markers Across Georgia



King's Bridge



Marker ID: GHM 025-43
Location: US 17 at the Ogeechee River
County: Chatham
Coordinates: N 31° 58.733    W 081° 17.291
  31.978883    -81.28818
Waymark: WMNR3Z
King's Bridge Marker
Photo by Tim Walleker



Text:

Dec. 1864. After a 300 mile march which had left a wide belt of destruction from ´Atlanta to the Sea,´ Gen. Sherman´s army (USA) of about 60,000 men was nearing Savannah. During he first weeks of his campaign, his four widely-spread columns had found adequate supplies on the rich farms and plantations of central and eastern Georgia; but in Chatham County he found little but rice and rice straw upon which to subsist his men and animals. He needed all classes of supplies, as well as heavy guns with which to conduct a siege. Although a supply fleet, under Adm. Dahlgren, was waiting in nearby anchorages, the ships could not pass Fort McAllister (CSA) 10 miles downstream at Genesis Point, and all attempts to reduce it by naval bombardment had failed.

On the 13th, Hazen´s Div., 15th Corps (USA), crossed the river here, moved via ´Cross Roads´ (Richmond Hill), 2.5 miles south, and Bryan Neck road (Ga 63) to Fort McAllister and overwhelmed it by assault from the rear. The great guns of Fort McAllister silenced, the heavily laden supply ships began to move upstream. A wharf was built here by details from the 17th Corps (USA), and King´s Bridge became the base from which all supplies, including siege materiel, were distributed to the Union forces.

GHM 025-43 Georgia Historical Commission 1957



 

 

025-43