Historic Markers Across Georgia



Birthplace of the University of Georgia



Marker ID: GHM 025-46
Location: In park at Bay and Drayton Streets, Savannah, GA
County: Chatham
Coordinates: N 32° 4.849    W 081° 5.421
  32.080816    -81.09035
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3XYC
Birthplace of the University of Georgia  Marker  



Text:

Directly across Bay Street from this marker formerly stood the brick building. Built in late colonial days and known as the "Coffee House." In which the Legislature of Georgia met in 1785. Owned by Thomas Stone, it was described in a newspaper advertisement in 1785 as having "ten large, cool, elegant rooms" and as "not equaled by any other house in the state" for "business, and convenience for a large family."

While meeting in the house owned by Thomas stone the House Of Assembly of Georgia enacted on January 28, 1785, an act for the "establishment of a public seat if learning in this state"- the preamble reciting that is was "among the first objects of those who wish well to the national prosperity, to encourage and support the principles of religion and morality, and early to place the youth under the forming hand of society, that by instruction they may be molded to the love of virtue and good order."

The charter granted to the Board of Trustees of the University of Georgia in 1785 was the first charter issued in the united stares to a state university.

GHM 025-46 Georgia Historical Commission 1957



 

 

025-46