Historic Markers Across Georgia



Chatham Artillery's "Washington Guns"



Marker ID: GHM 025-53
Location: Immediately East of the Savannah City Hall, Bay St., Savannah, GA
County: Chatham
Coordinates: N 32° 04.856    W 081° 05.427
  32.080933    -81.09045
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMW9B
Chatham Artillery's "Washington Guns" Marker  



Text:

These bronze cannon were presented to the Chatham Artillery by President Washington after his visit to Savannah in 1791. Of English and French make, respectively, they are excellent examples of the art of ordnance manufacture in the 18th century.

An inscription on the British 6 pounder states that it was "surrendered by the capitulation of York Town Oct. 19, 1781." The English cannon was cast in 1758 during the reign of George II and the royal insignia and motto of the Order of the Garter appear on its barrel.

The French gun was manufactured at Strasburg in 1756. On its elaborately engraved barrel appear the coat of arms of Louis XIV: the sun which was the emblem of that monarch, and a Latin inscription (which Louis XIV first ordered placed on French cannon) meaning "Last Argument of Kings." The dolphins were emblematic of the Dauphin of France.

The gun was individually named "La Populaire." Reminders of America´s hard-won struggle for Independence and of the great man who led the Continental forces in the Revolution, the historic "Washington Guns" were placed on public display here through co-operation of the Chatham Artillery and the City of Savannah.

GHM 025 - 53 GEORGIA HISTORIC MARKER 1982



 

 

025-53