Historic Markers Across Georgia



Old Savannah Cotton Exchange



Marker ID: GHM 025-56
Location: In park at Bay and Drayton Streets, Savannah, GA
County: Chatham
Coordinates: N 32° 4.849    W 081° 5.397
  32.080816    -81.08995
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMW9N
Old Savannah Cotton Exchange  Marker  



Text:

The Savannah Cotton Exchange building was completed in 1887, during the era when Savannah ranked first as a cotton seaport on the Atlantic and second in the world. in its heyday as a cotton port over two million bales a year moved through Savannah. the cotton Exchange was the center of activity in the staple which dominated this city´s economic life before its eveloution into a leading industrial seaport.

The Exchange was designed by the nationally known Boston architect, Willaim Gibbons Preston (1844- 1910). His design won out in a competition participated in by eleven architects. the exchange is believed to one of the few structures in the world erected over n existing public street.

The beautiful iron railing around this grass plat, with panels featuring medallions of famoous statesmen, authors and poets once graced the ante-bellum Wetter House in Savannah.

The former Cotton Exchange is now the headquarters of the Savannah Chamber of Commerce, which cordially invites you to drop in for a visit.

GHM 025-56 Georgia Historical Commission 1957



 

 

025-56