Historic Markers Across Georgia



Lazaretto



Marker ID: GHM 025-64
Location: US 80 west of Lazaretto Creek, Tybee Island
County: Chatham
Coordinates: N 32° 00.907    W 080° 52.720
  32.01511666    -80.87866666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMCKG
Lazaretto Marker  



Text:

After the repeal of the anti-slavery provision in the Charter of the Colony of Georgia on 1749, an act permitting the importation of slaves ordered the erection of a Lazaretto (Quarantine Station) on Tybee Island. Not until 1767 were 104 acres purchased from Josiah Tattnall for this purpose. Completed the following year, the buildings were situated on the westernmost tip of Tybee, at the mouth of what soon became known as Lazaretto Creek. In its hospital voyagers who arrived ill were treated and those who died were buried in unmarked graves. After continuous use through the Revolution, the Grand Jury reported it in ruinous condition in 1785 and a new station was later erected on Cockspur Island.

GHM 025-64 Georgia Historical Commission 1958



 

Lazaretto


 

025-64