Historic Markers Across Georgia



Site of Colonial shipyard



Marker ID: GHM 025-66
Location: Located on Shipyard Rd, 0.2 mile east of Ferguson Rd., Savannah, GA
County: Chatham
Coordinates: N 31° 56.548    W 081° 6.474
  31.942466    -81.1079
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4M07
Site of Colonial shipyard Marker  



Text:

Approximately 300 yards northeast of this marker there was located in colonial days a shipyard where at least one vessel capable of engaging in overseas trade was built. The creek on which it stood is known as Shipyard Creek.

The site of the shipyard was on the Beaulieu (or Bewlie) plantation of John Morel and was favorable for shipbuilding activities because of its accessibility to the Vernon River and the plentiful supply of live oak in the vicinity.

Here, in December, 1774, Daniel Giroud, shipbuilder, constructed the brig ´Bewlie,´ a vessel of 200 tons burden. In reporting the launching of the ship the ´Georgia Gazette´ stated that ´those who are judges say she is well built and of the best materials, particularly her frame.´ During the American Revolution Giroud assisted in the construction of several Continental row galleys which saw service in Georgia waters.

GHM 025-66 Georgia Historical Commission 1958



 

 

025-66