Historic Markers Across Georgia



Lutheran Church of the Ascension (Founded, 1741)



Marker ID: GHM 025-76
Location: Wright Square, Bull and President Streets, Savannah, GA
County: Chatham
Coordinates: N 32° 4.681    W 081° 5.517
  32.078016    -81.09195
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMWPR
Lutheran Church of the Ascension (Founded, 1741)  Marker  



Text:

On April 14, 1741, John Martin Bolzius, who as Pastor of the Salzburgers at Ebenezer was in charge of Lutheran work in the colony of Georgia, founded the congregation now known as the Lutheran Church of the Ascension.

In 1756 members of the congregation purchased for one hundred and fifty pound the lot upon which the present church building stands, directly East of this marker. Around 1772 a nearby building which had formerly served as a court house was acquired at a cost of sevnteen pounds and was moved to this site, becoming the first church building of Lutherans in Savannah.

The present church was ereced in 1843. Extensive remodeling was completed in 1879 and at that time it was dedicated as ´The Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Ascension.´ The choice of the name is connected with the beautiful stained glass window behind the altar, portraying the Ascension of Christ into heaven.

GHM 025-76 Georgia Historical Commission 1960



 

 

025-76