Historic Markers Across Georgia



Congregation Mickve Israel (Founded 1733)



Marker ID: GHM 025-77
Location: Located in front of the synagogue at Bull and Taylor streets, Savannah, GA
County: Chatham
Coordinates: N 32° 4.269    W 081° 5.658
  32.07115    -81.0943
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMCNZ
Congregation Mickve Israel
(Founded 1733) Marker  



Text:

The oldest Congregation now practicing Reform Judaism in the United States, Mickve Israel was founded by a group of Jews, mainly of Spanish-Portuguese extraction, which landed at Savannah, July 11, 1733, five months after the establishment of the Colony of Georgia.

The Congregation was incorporated in perpetuity by a special Act of the Georgia Legislature on November 20, 1790. After having worshipped in various temporary quarters for almost a century, in 1820 the Congregation built its own Synagogue - the first in Georgia - at the Northeast corner of Liberty and Whitaker Streets. The present Synagogue was consecrated on April 11, 1878.

In 1789 the Congregation received a letter from President George Washington which stated in part: ´May the same wonder-working Deity who long since delivering the Hebrews from their Egyptian oppressors, planted them in the promised land - whose providential agency has lately been conspicuous in establishing these United States as an independent nation - still continue to water them with the dews of Heaven and to make the inhabitants of every denomination participate in the temporal and spiritual blessings of that people whose God is Jehovah.´

GHM 025-77 Georgia Historical Commission 1961



 

 

025-77