Historic Markers Across Georgia



Isle of Hope Methodist Church



Marker ID: GHM 025-83
Location: Located at the church on Parkersburg Rd., Isle of Hope
County: Chatham
Coordinates: N 31° 58.907    W 081° 03.566
  31.981783    -81.05943
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4NDQ
Isle of Hope Methodist Church Marker  



Text:

The Isle of Hope Methodist Church was organized in 1851. The first Trustees were George W. Wylly, Simeon F. Murphy, John B. Hogg, William Waite, Theodore Goodwin, Thomas J. Barnsley and the Rev. William S. Baker.

The church building that stands here was erected in 1859 on land given by Dr. Stephen Dupon. Its architecture is similar to that of the early churches at Midway and Ebenezer. The gallery at the rear of the church was built primarily for accommodations of slaves.

Symbolic of the hospitality extended by the Church to all faiths is the large key that hangs outside the entrance.

During the War Between the States a Confederate battery stood on the church lot, mounting two 8-inch columbiads and two 32-pounder cannon. The church was used as a hospital for Confederates stationed in the area, the pews (still in existence) serving as beds. Thirty-three Effingham County soldiers sleep in the adjoining churchyard.


GHM 025-83 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1962



 
Notes:

In 1984, the church sanctuary was destroyed by fire and the church bell badly damaged.

 

025-83