Historic Markers Across Georgia



Birthplace of Eighth Air Force



Marker ID: GHM 025-86
Location: Located at Old Chatham Armory, Bull St. near Park Ave., Savannah, GA
County: Chatham
Coordinates: N 32° 03.855    W 081° 05.841
  32.06425    -81.09735
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2JN0
Birthplace of Eighth Air Force Marker  



Text:

On 28 January 1942, the Eighth Air Force, was activated in the adjacent building, a National Guard Armory at the time.

Having moved to England, the Eighth was ready on 17 August to test the theory that daylight bombing raids could be made with profitable results. Twelve B-17´s participated in this mission, striking the railway marshalling yards at Rouen, France, and returning safely to their home base. This highly successful mission established the pattern for the strategic bombardment of Nazi Germany -- the Eighth Air Force by day and the RAF by night.

Under the leaderships of Generals Carl A. Spaatz, Ira C. Eaker and James H. Doolittle, it flew over 600,000 sorties delivering over 700,000 tons of bombs and destroying over 15,000 German aircraft. On one single mission, December 24, 1944, it was able to send 2,000 B-17 Flying Fortresses and B-24 Liberators and nearly 1,000 fighters in the Battle of Germany.

The renowned winged-eight, the emblem of the Eighth Air Force, was designed by former Air Force Major Ed Winter, a native of Savannah.


GHM 025-86 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1966



 

Birthplace of Eighth Air Force


 

025-86