Historic Markers Across Georgia



ST. Vincent's Academy



Marker ID: GHM 025-93
Location: 207 E Liberty Street at Abercorn, Savannah, GA
County: Chatham
Coordinates: N 31° 58.907    W 081° 03.566
  31.981783    -81.05943
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMCNW
ST. Vincent's Academy Marker  



Text:

The Convent and Academy of Saint Vincent dePaul was opened in June, 1845. Sisters of Mercy from Charleston, S.C., under the leadership of Mother Vincent Mahoney, began a boarding school, orphanage, day school and free school. St. Vincent´s Convent became an independent Motherhouse within two years, and from here over 20 schools, hospitals, and orphanages were founded throughout Georgia. Early foundations continuing to give service include: St. Joseph´s Hospital and St. Mary´s Home, Savannah (1875), and St. Joseph´s Hospital (1880).

Records attest to bravery and heroic service rendered by the Sisters of Mercy during the yellow fever epidemics of 1853, 1876, and 1878, and to their care for the wounded and suffering during the Civil War.

Students at St. Vincent´s include Winnie and Jeff Davis, children of Confederate President Jefferson Davis.

Noted architect, Charles B. Cluskey, designed the Convent and Academy building. The style is Greek Revival.

Heritage Hall in the original building recalls for today´s young women St. Vincent´s tradition of educational excellence.

GHM 025-93 GEORGIA HISTORIC MARKER 1983



 

 

025-93