Historic Markers Across Georgia



St. Joseph's Hospital



Marker ID: GHM 025-94
Location: on Mercy Blvd. between Abercorn Street (State Road 204) and McAuley Drive, Savannah GA
County: Chatham
Coordinates: N 31° 59.126    W 081° 09.248
  31.98543333    -81.15413333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMKBV6
St. Joseph's Hospital Marker  



Text:

In 1841, under the inspiration of Sister Catherine McAuley of Dublin, Ireland, a group of Sisters of Mercy came to the United States to establish infirmaries and schools to minister to the poor and sick immigrants. In 1845, the Sisters of Mercy came to Savannah and established St. Vincent´s Academy, a private secondary school for girls. During the Civil War, the Sisters were involved in the fight against yellow fever, a disease that took the lives of many residents. In 1875, five sisters assumed responsibility for the Marine Hospital at East Briad and Gordon Streets, tending to sick seamen and the poor. In 1876, the hospital moved to the former Savannah Medical College at Habersham and Taylot Streets and the name was changed to St. Joseph´s Infirmary. When the first addition was erected in 1901, the name was changed to St. Joseph´s Hospital. In 1902, St. Josep´s School of Nursing opened and the first nurse graduated in 1905. IN 1970, under the guidance of Sister Mary Cornile Dulohery, the hospital moved to this site on Mercy Boulevard. In 1997, the hospital entered a joint operating agreement with Candler Hospital, forming St. Joseph´s/Candler Health System.

GHM 025-94 Georgia Historical Commission 2003



 

St. Joseph's Hospital


 

025-94