Historic Markers Across Georgia



John Wesley's American Parish



Marker ID: UMC 
Location: Located on Reynold's Square on reverse of Wesley Chapel Trinity Parish marker, Savannah, GA This is a two sided marker.
County: Chatham
Coordinates: N 32° 04.472    W 081° 05.375
  32.074533    -81.08958
Waymark: WM3ZTV
John Wesley's American Parish Marker  



Text:

John Wesley, an Anglican minister, served as the religious leader of the Georgia colony from February 6, 1736 to December 2, 1737. His inclusive ministry sought to embrace both Native Americans and colonists. In 1976, The United Methodist Church declared this, the site of their founder´s American ministry, a National Historic Landmark encompassing

1. His new world landing site at Cockspur Island on U.S. 80 E.

2. The site of his first sermon at Bull St. and Bay Lane.

3. The Wesley monument on Reynolds Square.

4. Site of his parsonage and garden at Congress and Abercorn.

5. Site of Wesley´s first permanent worship place at York & Whitaker.

6. And in 1995, Trinity Church on Telfair Square, ´The Mother Church of Savannah Methodism.´

Presented by the Commission on Archives and History The United Methodist Church, 1999



 
Notes:

Presented by the Commission on Archives and History
The United Methodist Church, 1999


 

025-A11