Historic Markers Across Georgia



Old Jewish Burial Ground



Marker ID: GHM 
Location: Located in front of cemetery near intersection of West Boundary and Cohen streets, Savannah, GA
County: Chatham
Coordinates: N 32° 4.339    W 081° 6.212
  32.072316    -81.10353
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4EWE
Old Jewish Burial Ground Marker  



Text:

Established by Mordecai Sheftall on August 2, 1773 from lands granted him in 1762 by King George III as a parcel of land that "shall be, and forever remain, to and for the use and purpose of a Place of Burial for all persons whatever professing the Jewish Religion."

During the ill fated attempt of the French forces under Admiral Charles Henri, Comte d´Estaing and the American forces under General Benjamin Lincoln, to recapture Savannah from the British, General Lincoln´s Orders of the Day of October 8, 1779 stated that "The second place of rallying, or the first if the redoubt should not be carried, will at the Jew´s burying ground, where the reserve will be placed."

According to the account of Captain Antoine-Francoise Térance O´Conner, a military engineer serving with the French forces, on October 9, 1779, shortly after 4:00 AM, "The reserve corps, commanded by M. le Vicomte de Noailles, advanced as far as an old Jewish cemetery, and we placed on its right and a little to the rear of the four 4-pounders."



 

Old Jewish Burial Ground

Notes:

This is a state historical marker that has no identification number or date

 

025-A13