Historic Markers Across Georgia



Salzburger Monument of Reconciliation



Marker ID: Other 
Location: Located near monument in park at Abercorn and Bay Sts., Savannah, GA
County: Chatham
Coordinates: N 32° 04.831    W 081° 05.328
  32.080516    -81.0888
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMWDH
Salzburger Monument of Reconciliation Marker  



Text:

The nearby Salzburger Monument of Reconciliation and dedicated to The Georgia Salzburger Society and given to the City of Savannah in 1994 by the State of Salzburg, Austria, in memory of the Lutheran Protestants of Salzburg who were denied religious freedom and expelled from their homeland.

The first thirty seven Salzburgers to come to Georgia landed at this site on March 12, 1734. They were welcomed by James Edward Oglethorpe, founder of the Georgia Colony and given temporary shelter before moving to their new home, Ebenezer, in what is now Effingham County. Additional Colonists from Salzburg and other Germanic people continued to settle at Ebenezer until 1752.



 
Notes:

Erected by The Georgia Salzburger Society after the 1994 erection of the monument

 

025-A16