Historic Markers Across Georgia



The Village of Abercorn



Marker ID: GHM 051-5
Location: Located on Ga. 21 at County Road 3 one-half mile south of the Effingham County line
County: Chatham
Coordinates: N 32° 13.821    W 081° 11.622
  32.23035    -81.1937
Style: Free Standing **
Status: The marking is missing.
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Near here the Village of Abercorn was laid out, in 1733, and ten families assigned to it. In 1734, when the Salzburgers arrived in Georgia, many of them were stationed in Abercorn to wait for their homes to be built in Ebenezer and a road cut through to that place. Their pastor, the Rev. John Martin Bolzius, remained with them during the months of waiting.

The location of the Village proved unsuitable for permanent settlement, and in a few years Abercorn was abandoned, to take its place among the Dead Towns of Georgia -- only the Creek that runs beside the site still bears the name.

GHM 051-5 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1957



 
Notes:

This marker originally was thought to be located in Effingham County and was thus given the county number 051. Actually, it is located in Chatham County and should have a county number of 025.

 

025-A21