Historic Markers Across Georgia



Wesley Chapel Trinity



Marker ID: UMC 
Location: Located on Reynold's Square on reverse of John Wesley's American Parish marker, Savannah, GA This is a two sided marker.
County: Chatham
Coordinates: N 32° 04.472    W 081° 05.375
  32.074533    -81.08958
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3ZTV
Wesley Chapel Trinity Marker  



Text:

In 1812 The Methodist Church in Savannah was formally established with the founding of Wesley Chapel at Lincoln & Oglethorpe Streets. Bishop Francis Asbury dedicated that building in 1813. In 1848 the congregation built a new church on Telfair Square. Since the Methodist Centennial of 1884, Trinity has been recognized as "The Mother Church of Savannah Methodism." In 1995, the General Commission on Archives and History expanded the National Historic Landmark to include Wesley Chapel/Trinity, thereby celebrating the permanent return of the Wesleyan Spirit to "John Wesley´s American Parish."



 

Wesley Chapel Trinity

Notes:

Presented by the Commission on Archives and History
The United Methodist Church, 1999

 

025-A22