Historic Markers Across Georgia



1812 Wesley Chapel



Marker ID: UDC 
Location: Located at Oglethorpe Ave. and Lincoln St., Savannah, Ga.
County: Chatham
Coordinates: N 32° 4.569    W 081° 5.348
  32.07615    -81.08913
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMWPP
1812 Wesley Chapel Marker  



Text:

Savannah Methodism´s first church building was erected on this corner of Lincoln and South Broad (now Oglethorpe) streets in 1812 by its first pastor, Rev. James Russell.

Bishop Francis Asbury preached twice in Wesley Chapel on November 21, 1813. In 1819-20 under the preaching of William Capers the membership grew rapidly, and in 1821 John Howard enlarged the building to care for 100 new members. By 1848 this ´good, neat house, sixty by forty feet´, became too small; at a new location its successor, Trinity, was built. Among the early pastors of Wesley Chapel were James O. Andrew. George F. Pierce, Ignatius A. Few, and Thomas L. Wynn.

[Savannah Area Methodist Heritage Society - 1977]
[South Georgia Conference Commission on Archives and History]




1812 Wesley Chapel
Photo by David Seibert



 

025-A3