Historic Markers Across Georgia



Southwest Bastion - Fort Pulaski



Marker ID: NPS 
Location: at Fort Pulaski NM located on Cockspur Island and the end of Fort Pulaski Rd, north of US 80, Savannah, GA.
County: Chatham
Coordinates: N 32° 1.592    W 080° 53.437
  32.02653333    -80.89061666
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: None
Southwest Bastion - Fort Pulaski Marker  



Text:

The Southwest Bastion held a special type of cannon to protect the fort's entrance. These cannon, known as 24-pounder flank defense howitzers, were aimed at the drawbridge. Today, this area provides a cutaway view of the fort's upper foundations.

In 1895 a fire destroyed the wooden floors in front of you. At the time the fort was abandoned, so there was no need to replace the floors. Originally the open space below allowed for ventilation and air flow in an effort to keep out dampness and remove smoke from recently fired cannon. Brick piers extend up from a wooden grillage, today hidden by several layers of sediment. Below the grillage, wooden pilings extend up to 70 feet into the marshy terrain of Cockspur Island. The pilings, completely encased by mud, are not exposed to air and still remain in place today.

Erected by National Park Service.



 

Southwest Bastion - Fort Pulaski

Notes:

More information:
NPS: Fort Pulaski NM
Wikipedia: Fort Pulaski National Monument
Civil War in GA: Federals attack Ft Pulaski
CWSAC: Fort Pulaski

 

025-A43