Historic Markers Across Georgia



The Parade



Marker ID: NPS 
Location: at Fort Pulaski NM located on Cockspur Island and the end of Fort Pulaski Rd, north of US 80, Savannah, GA.
County: Chatham
Coordinates: N 32° 1.624    W 080° 53.384
  32.02706666    -80.88973333
Style: Interpretative Sign **
Waymark: WMKP2E
The Parade Marker  



Text:

The Confederates used earth and a "blindage" of timbers as protection against shot and shells falling within the fort. To reduce casualties from flying debris, the "light colonnade" or veranda roof along the gorge was removed.

Three months after the battle, with the Parade restored, the 48th New York Volunteers stood "on review." Those not on duty in the background found another way to use the Parade. This is one of the first known photographs of baseball being played.

By the time the fort was established as a National Monument in 1924, the Parade was overgrown with vegetation. Restoration would not begin until 1933, when Fort Pulaski became a part of the National Park System.

With the help of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), widespread preservation maintenance was performed during the Great Depression. Remarkably, the only major portion needing complete reconstruction was the veranda roof, dismantled by the Confederates in 1862.

Erected by National Park Service.



 

The Parade

Notes:

More information:
NPS: Fort Pulaski NM
Wikipedia: Fort Pulaski National Monument
Civil War in GA: Federals attack Ft Pulaski
CWSAC: Fort Pulaski

 

025-A48