Historic Markers Across Georgia



Blacksmith Shop



Marker ID:  
Location: on the grounds of the Georgia State Railroad Museum, 655 Louisville Road, Savannah, GA
County: Chatham
Coordinates: N 32° 04.504    W 081° 06.127
  32.07506666    -81.10211666
Style: Interpretative Sign **
Waymark: WMKDBE
Blacksmith Shop Marker  



Text:

The Blacksmith Shop had 13 forges.

The railroad complex needed blacksmiths to forge iron locomotive and rolling stock parts, hinges and other hardware for buildings and also tools and equipment. Some of the forged parts were sent to the Machine Shop for threading and other milling. The western end of the Blacksmith Shop may have served as a foundry for non-iron metals. Bronze bearings and Babbitt bearings were common items that foundry workers made. Each forge had an underground flue to exhaust coal smoke. These flues were connected to a central flue which led to the exterior smokestack.

"…The Company, we believe, do all their work in wood, iron and brass, except iron casting. Their forges are extensive and embrace the only steam forge we have yet seen in Georgia…" —The Weekly Georgia Telegraph, Macon April 26, 1859.



 
Inside the Blacksmith Shop
Blacksmith Shop


 

025-A49