Historic Markers Across Georgia



Tender Frame Shop & Master Mechanic's Office



Marker ID:  
Location: on the grounds of the Georgia State Railroad Museum, 655 Louisville Road, Savannah, GA
County: Chatham
Coordinates: N 32° 04.494    W 081° 06.080
  32.0749    -81.10133333
Style: Interpretative Sign **
Waymark: WMKDE9
Tender Frame Shop & Master Mechanic's Office Marker  



Text:

This 1855 structure served various purposes. Originally, workers built frames for steam engine tenders, and the Master Mechanic had his office in this building.

The tenders built here were wooden horizontal undercarriages that supported locomotive water tanks and fuel. An archway connected the Tender Frame Shop to the Machine Shop. This allowed workers to move the constructed frames for machine work.

Increasing locomotive size and technological improvements, such as replacing wooden lender frames with iron to reduce fire hazards, made the Tender Frame Shop obsolete.

In 1899, the Central added a second story. Later, the building housed scientific testing and air brake testing laboratories. The Master Mechanic's Office occupied the first floor, as did an apprentice school.



 

Tender Frame Shop & Master Mechanic's Office


 

025-A57