Historic Markers Across Georgia



1800 Sesquicentennial 1950 / First Baptist Church



Marker ID:  
Location: At the church is on Bull St. near W. McDonough St., Savannah, GA
County: Chatham
Coordinates: N 32° 4.567    W 081° 5.629
  32.07611666    -81.09381666
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WMKKVP
1800 Sesquicentennial 1950 / First Baptist Church Marker  



Text:

1800 Sesquicentennial 1950
First Baptist Church
Savannah, Georgia



On November 26, 1800 the Reverend Henry Holcombe and fifteen other Baptists organized the Savannah Baptist Church. As early as 1795 a group of interested Baptists had erected a house of worship on Franklin Square where the congregation worshipped for thirty-three years. The Sunday School was organized there on April 29, 1827.

During the Pastorate of the Reverend Henry O. Wyer the cornerstone of the present church on Chippewa Square was laid on February 2, 1831 and the building was completely renovated in 1921. Since 1847 the church has been called the First Baptist Church. In 1926 the Educational Building was erected and dedicated to the memory of John J. Cummings.

The church has had a long line of distinguished deacons and members who have given it their support, devotion and prayers. The Pastors have been Henry Holcombe, William B. Johnson, Benjamin Screven, James Sweat, James Meredith, Henry O. Wyer, Josiah S. Law, Charles B. Jones, J. G. Binney, Albert Williams, Joseph T. Robert, Thomas Rambaut, J.B. Stiteler, G.S. Daniel, Sylvanus Landrum, Timothy Harley, J.E.L. Holmes, S.A. Goodwin, J.D. Jordan, W.L. Pickard, J.J. Taylor, L.R. Christie, Norman W. Cox, John E. White, Arthur Jackson, and Leroy G. Cleverdon.

This tablet is given in grateful recognition to God for his Divine Blessings on the church and is dedicated to the memories of the Reverend Henry Holcombe and those who succeeded him in its Ministry. Done with appropriate exercises on this the twenty-sixth day of November One Thousand Nine Hundred and Fifty and Fiftieth Anniversary of the organization of the First Baptist Church of Savannah Georgia.

Erected 1950 by First Baptist Church.



 

1800 Sesquicentennial 1950 / First Baptist Church


 

025-A66