Historic Markers Across Georgia



Isle of Hope National Historic District



Marker ID: Other 
Location: Located on LaRouche Ave. near former fish camp on Isle of Hope
County: Chatham
Coordinates: N 31° 59.702    W 081° 03.431
  31.995033    -81.05718
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMDZVM
Isle of Hope National Historic District Marker  



Text:

In 1736, Noble Jones, John Fallowfield and Henry Parker settled this important outpost on the colony´s inland waterway to the south and named it Isle of Hope. Jones´ Wormsloe [Wormslow] plantation was fortified and armed against Spanish attach until 1742. The island developed peacefully through the revolution, still important as an inland port.

The 1800´s brought more residents and farms. Although strongly armed during the Civil War, no action took place. By 1870 daily trains served the growing interest in the island as a resort. Barbee´s pavilion, at the river terminus of the railroad, became world renown in the 1920´s. Activity centered on the river and many large homes were built. Isle of Hope continues today as a tranquil outpost of coastal life.



 
Notes:

Erected by Isle of Hope Historical Association, Inc.

 

025-A9