Historic Markers Across Georgia



First Baptist Church



Marker ID: GHS 25-11
Location: 223 Bull St., Savannah, GA
County: Chatham
Coordinates: N 32° 4.561    W 081° 5.621
  32.076016    -81.09368
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2V8T
First Baptist Church Marker  



Text:

First Baptist Church, Savannah´s oldest standing house of worship, was designed by Elias Carter and completed in 1833. The congregation dates to 1800. In 1922 the front of the building was extended, a cupola removed, and the edifice covered with limestone. Under the leadership of Sylvanus Landrum, First Baptist Church was one of the few southern churches to remain open throughout the civil war. Notable pastors include W.L. Pickard, later president of Mercer University, Norman Cox, executive secretary of the Historical Commission of the Southern Baptist Convention, and Arthur Jackson, executive secretary of the Georgia Baptist Foundation.

Erected by the Georgia Historical Society and
2002.14 The First Baptist Church 25-11



 

First Baptist Church


 

025-HS11