Historic Markers Across Georgia



Savannah: Colonial Capital



Marker ID: GHS 25-13
Location: The Southeast corner of Reynolds Square, Abercom and Congress Sts.
County: Chatham
Coordinates: N 32° 04.74516    W 081° 05.3634
  32.079086    -81.089390
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3ZV0
Savannah: Colonial Capital Marker  



Text:

In March 1750, the Georgia Trustees in London resolved to allow colonists to elect a representative assembly to meet in Savannah, Georgia´s colonial capital. Sixteen delegates met on January 15, 1751, for a twenty-four-day session. Representative government continued in 1755 in the Commons House of Assembly, which by 1770 began meeting in a building on the southeast trust lot of Reynolds Square. In 1777, the new state constitution provided for an elected House of Assembly. The Georgia constitution of 1789 expanded the legislature to two houses, known as the General Assembly.

Erected by the Georgia Historical Society and the Office of the Secretary of State

2002.16 25-13



 

 

025-HS13