Historic Markers Across Georgia



Charity Hospital and Training School for Nurses



Marker ID: GHS 25-14
Location: 644 W. 36th St., Savannah, GA
County: Chatham
Coordinates: N 32° 3.612    W 081° 6.468
  32.0602    -81.1078
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMKBN6
Charity Hospital and Training School for Nurses Marker  



Text:

This was the site of the first hospital in Savannah to train African-American doctors and nurses. Named for Doctors Cornelius and Alice McKane, it began on June 1, 1896, when a small group of African Americans received a charter to operate the McKane Hospital for Women and Children and Training School for Nurses. The original hospital was a five-room wooden building. Charity Hospital completed this brick structure in 1931 and continued here until 1964. The building was used as a nursing home until 1976 and was rehabilitated for housing in 2002.

Erected by the Georgia Historical Society
Mercy Housing SouthEast, Sisters of Mercy,
St. Joseph's/Candler, and the Cuyler-Brownville
Neighborhood Association



 

Charity Hospital and Training School for Nurses


 

025-HS14