Historic Markers Across Georgia



Battery Hamilton



Marker ID: GHS 25-20
Location: At McQueen Island trailhead on US 80 just before Ft. Pulaski
County: Chatham
Coordinates: N 32° 2.441    W 080° 56.759
  32.040683    -80.94598
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6T2A
Battery Hamilton Marker
Photo by ChapterhouseInc



Text:

Built by Federal troops during the Civil War, in February 1862, Battery Hamilton prevented Confederate gunboats and reinforcements from moving down the Savannah River to aid the besieged Fort Pulaski. Its presence also allowed the Federals to construct the eleven artillery batteries that pounded Fort Pulaski into surrender in April 1862. Battery Hamilton was constructed and occupied by Company E and a detachment from Company A of the Third Rhode Island Heavy Artillery. The armament consisted of six heavy, rifled cannons. Battery Hamilton was abandoned after Fort Pulaski fell to Federal troops.



 

 

025-HS20